Striving for a Balanced Healthy Life

Eat This Not That!

Friday, December 26, 2008

Eat This Not That!
By David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding

This book analyzes the calories and nutritional information of popular chain restaurants and grocery store packaged foods to help the reader make healthier choices. The salad is not always the healthiest choice. Did you know the worst food in America is the Outback Steakhouse Aussie Cheese Fries with Ranch Dressing with a whopping 2900 calories/182 g fat/ 240 g carbs. Yikes! At the grocery store, Oscar Mayer America's Favorite Bacon is actually a better choice than Oscar Mayer Turkey Bacon. They both have 70 calories / 6 g fat for 2 slices but turkey bacon has 380 mg sodium while the regular bacon has 290 mg. This book also includes fun facts though out like did you know the name Sonic came from the restaurant's original slogan, "service at the speed of sound," a reference to the speaker boxes used in the original drive-ins. Another interesting fact, a recent study found that subjects ate 350 calories more at Subway than they did at McDonald's. Researchers call it the "health halo": the tendency for diners to overeat when they believe they're eating at a healthy restaurant. My husband and I debated this one for a while. He says he eats the same amount of food and therefore lower calories at a healthier restaurant. I think I eat more when I go to places like Subway because I think I can justify the foot long sandwich as healthy but when I go to a burger place I tend to get a junior burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Live N' It Up © 2008. Templates Novo Blogger