Striving for a Balanced Healthy Life

Well Balanced Nutrition in a Bowl

Thursday, January 8, 2009

The last few weeks I have been avoiding restaurant food because I know it is one of my weaknesses. Meal portions at restaurants seem to be getting bigger and bigger. After reading the book Eat This Not That I wonder if something I order at a restaurant that seems healthy like a salad is really packed with 1200 calories or more and lots of fat. What is the point of eating a salad? I might as well get the double cheese burger, chili cheese fries, and chocolate shake. Healthy restaurant food is becoming an oxymoron. You can still find some diamonds in the rough though. One of my favorite cuisines is Vietnamese. You can order just about anything on the menu and feel good about what you are eating. Most dishes come with lots of fresh vegetables, herbs, and spices. It is balanced with a reasonable portion of protein and rice or rice noodles. The cooking methods, including grilling, stir frying, boiling, and steaming, are lower in fat. Some days after working 10 hours straight and squeezing in a session at the gym I really don't want to come home and cook dinner, but I don't want to fight typical restaurant temptations either. Vietnamese cuisine is a great solution!


1 comment:

Erika said...

Yummy! That photo of the pho is making me hungry!

Post a Comment

 
Live N' It Up © 2008. Templates Novo Blogger